Monday, January 6, 2014

Art Journal - Still Life - Mug

I prefaced my cherry painting earlier with a quote about facing things, good or bad, head on.

This was a challenge I really did not want to face. Hmmm, that's becoming a bit of a theme isn't it? My art cowardice? Definitely need to work on that in 2014.

Anyway, I do not care for still life paintings. I don't particularly enjoy looking at them, and I have no desire to paint them.

I do understand though that they are necessary to become a better artist, and are vital for learning shapes, tones, values and shading. They are vital for learning to SEE.

But, did I mention, I really, really don't like them?!?!

So I was challenged to paint a still life this weekend. I put it off and put it off, and managed to find a ton of different things to do today to avoid it. I came very close to going to bed tonight without having gotten it done.

But that quote about the cherries kept popping up, and I decided I just had to face it. I said I was going to do something and I had to do it.

So I attempted to paint the mug on my desk I have been drinking hot chocolate from. Challenges abounded. How on earth do I capture the curve at the lip of the mug? How do I mix the paint to show the transitions from lighter areas to shadow areas without the dreaded blooming that plagues my watercolors? How do I get the color of the shadow right? How, how, how?!?!

Much as I dislike them, I can tell that I am going to have to do more, because while it was not a FUN project by any means. it was an eye opener.

Still Life Mug

2 comments:

  1. Your post made me smile, as always, and I like your--drum roll--FIRST still life (let's see if you get hooked). And I know you are right on the money when you talk about still life helping you learn to paint, in so many ways. It's a new world when you begin to paint from life...

    ReplyDelete
  2. Oh! Thanks for removing the prove you're not a robot thingy!

    ReplyDelete