Friday, January 3, 2014

30 Paintings In 30 Days - Day #3 - An Orchid

"If we could see the miracle of a single flower clearly, our whole life would change."
   - attributed to Buddha

I decided to continue playing with my 4x8 watercolor block today. I also decided to try and work on a really small brush painting, so I went with an orchid. I enjoy painting the long leaves of the orchid plant quite a bit. I love the twist and the flow. I'm not good at them, but I feel like i improve each time I make an attempt. The flower petals on the other hand....

Painting orchid petals for me is just as much of a challenge as painting bamboo leaves seems to be. No matter what I do, I just cannot seem to make them flow. I always end up painting them "stiff." Maybe I should have tried painting some while undergoing post-surgical pain management a few weeks ago - I was pretty relaxed then!

Just kidding. It doesn't seem to matter how relaxed I feel, petals and leaves just come out stiff. Guess its just another one of those things I need to figure out the "secret" to. :)

Brush painting of an orchid using watercolor paint on 4x8 paper by amateur artist Bill Whitworth of Morristown TN
Orchid

1 comment:

  1. I LOVE the simplicity of this. Fantastic! Good luck with the rest of your 30!

    ReplyDelete