Thursday, January 2, 2014

30 Paintings In 30 Days - Day #2

For today's painting I wanted to go with a hiking theme, and I wanted to experiment with a new paper size, so I broke out a 4x8 block of watercolor paper that has been sitting on my desk since the spring.

I was also wanted to go fast and loose, so I decided to take a brief break from the pen and ink I have been playing with the past few weeks. I am still dealing with some blooming issues, but overall I am ok with the results. I did not use a reference photo for this painting, so the perspectives are a little more skewed than usual.

Watercolor painting of a hiker walking through a snowy field of evergreen trees by very amateur artist Bill Whitworth from Morristown TN
Hiking Thru Evergreens

I also wanted to experiment with doing a brush painting on the 4x8 paper and try out a new brush at the same time, so I did the below "quickie."

I noted on Facebook that it is a good thing that grinding the ink for brush paintings relaxes me, because I continue to be frustrated by painting bamboo leaves. My teacher told me a few weeks ago that she can tell a childs age/developmental stage just by looking at how they paint certain things.

Well, I am convinced that anyone looking at my bamboo leaves would swear I am a 3rd grader!!


2 comments:

  1. Somehow I missed your first 30 in 30 post, so I'm happy I spotted this one. I really like Hiking Thru Evergreens. With this painting, I get such a sense of quiet solitude and perseverance. I'm always amazed when people paint without references, too. I think the bamboo looks great. Nothing third graderish about it. Other than I hope you had fun. Like a third grader probably would! Enjoy the challenge...

    ReplyDelete
  2. Very nice Bill! I especially like your bamboo.

    ReplyDelete