Wednesday, January 22, 2014

30 Paintings In 30 Days - Day #22 - Another Tree

"The trees are God's great alphabet:
With them He writes in shining green
Across the world His thoughts serene."
      - Leonora Speyer

Anytime I make a painting that I am really disappointed in (like last nights quickie sunflower - BLAH), I like to go back to my favorite subject: trees.

Even when a tree painting doesn't turn out quite the way I wanted, I am still happy, just because I like painting trees.

Shoot, the trees are my favorite part of any painting. Even when its just some vague, loose blobs in the background to hint of a treeline or forest, its my favorite part to paint.

Why? Because trees used to make me FREEZE. Totally. My first sketchbook has 3 drawings I did not complete because I had NO CLUE how to make the trees in the foreground or the background. It was a major sticking point for me.

My teacher tried to explain it to me, but without seeing it, I just wasn't getting it.

I'll never forget the night I had a breakthrough. I was sitting with some of the kids at a Parents Night Out I was hosting at my school. I sat out some watercolors for the kids to paint with, and I decided to sit down and join them. I was painting a pond I had fished at once that had woods along one edge.

I remembered my teacher had told me the trees did not have to be detailed. You just had to get some basic shapes in and let the viewers eye/brain make them into trees. So I loosened up and just splattered them in (well, thats what it FELT like anyway.) I was totally amazed when it WORKED. It looked like a treeline!

The kids were all looking over going "Wow - I didn't know you were an artist."

I was like "uhhhhh, not exactly, but thanks."

It was just a quickie little painting on a scrap piece of paper, but I was so excited. I remember how thrilled I was to show my teacher that I had MADE TREES!!!

That painting is still sitting on my desk.

So, tonight's painting attached below may not be anything special, but to me, the fact that I am able to accomplish even that, is a pretty big deal.

Watercolor painting of a tree by amateur artist Bill Whitworth from Morristown, TN.
Watercolor Tree on 4x6 paper

No comments:

Post a Comment