Tuesday, January 7, 2014

30 Paintings In 30 Days - Day #7 - Big South Fork

"There is a river somewhere that flows through the lives of everyone."
      - Roberta Flack

I love rivers. I've loved them since the first time I waded into one as a teenager, cast into the gently flowing waters and felt the tug of a fish on the other end of the line.

Time seems to flow differently when you are out on the river. Something about the the water moving past washes away the pent up worries and frustrations and slows time to a peaceful crawl. Its the best therapy I know.

I've fallen in love with many rivers over the course of my life, and one of my favorites right here in Tennessee is the Big South Fork. While the fishing is, frankly, terrible, the canoeing is outstanding, and the hiking along its banks and through the surrounding hills and mountains is world class.

My favorite hike is up to the Angel Falls Overlook. I've always joked that it should be called the Angel Falls OverHEAR, because most of the year you can HEAR the Falls, but you can't LOOK at them.

I have probably taken a zillion photos from the overlook. This past October I got to share the beauty of the hike and view with my daughter Aubrey for the first time. So today I decided it was time to attempt a painting.

I won't bore anyone with the struggles I went through putting paint to paper on this one. All you have to do is look at it - they are right there in plain sight.

I'm not upset though. When I look at it - I know, without a doubt, what the scene is. When I look at it, I can feel the breeze moving through the gorge, I can feel the vertigo I get when I stand close to the edge of the overlook, I can smell the pine trees, I can hear the roar of the rapids at Angel Falls, and I can feel the elation and joy I get every single time I step out onto that overlook.

I think that's what art is supposed to do for the artist, so I am happy.

I will be even happier when, someday, my paintings can bring the same feelings to the other people that view them.

Watercolor painting of Big South Fork Angel Falls Overlook by amateur artist Bill Whitworth from Morristown, TN
Big South Fork - Angel Falls Overlook

No comments:

Post a Comment